For use on clothing, tents, and other gear, Sawyer Permethrin not only repels insects, it actually kills ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites, and more than 55 other kinds of insects on contact.
Permethrin is odorless after drying and will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or any of your outdoor gear. A single application lasts 6 washings or 42 days of sun exposure.
Features of Sawyer Permethrin Premium Insect Repellent 24 oz Spray:
- This insect repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes for up to six weeks.
- This nonaerosol pump bottle contains enough spray to coat full outfits
- One treatment will last up to six washings or six weeks before clothing has to be treated again
- If you treat your tent, you can expect full potency for up to 40 days of direct sunlight. This is a great way to give your entire campsite a barrier of protection
- Use it while hunting for an odorless way to protect yourself from common bugs
- Effective against ticks that carry Lyme disease and other fairly common diseases like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Repellent should be applied outdoors and before clothing is worn; after it’s treated, hang clothing and let dry two hours (four hours in humid conditions)
- Avoid contact with skin and eyes during application phase
- Active Ingredient: Permethrin (0.5 percent)
How to Maximize the Effectiveness of the Permethrin Fabric Treatment:
- For treatment of packs, tents, camp chairs, and other non washable items the application will last through 42 days of exposure to sun and air.
- Treating a tent and camp chairs while camping is an excellent source of bug protection.
- When treating clothing, Sawyer recommends 3 ounces of formula per garment. If you are treating your socks, they count in the overall application as well and the formula used is part of the 6 ounces needed to treat an outfit. Applying less than 3 ounces per garment will lead to unsatisfactory results.
- The more permethrin in the area the greater your overall protection. Treating your shirt and pants is much more effective than just treating one of the garments. Also treating your backpack significantly adds to the protection from your shirt and pants.
- While ticks usually find you at the ankle level (be sure to treat the socks and pants) they can also climb bushes and find you at a higher level so be sure to treat your shirt as well if you are around bushes and concerned about ticks.
- Sweating and exposure to water does not significantly deteriorate the application. It is primarily the agitation of a washing machine which deteriorates the permethrin application. For best results Sawyer recommends hand washing and air drying. When using a conventional washer and dryer, use the gentle wash and dry cycles. Loss due to the dryer is limited compared to the detergent and washer agitation. Dry cleaning removes the permethrin from the fabric.
- Storing garments in dark plastic bags between uses helps to preserve the application.
- Do not expose cats to wet permethrin as it affects their central nervous system. This is not true with dogs, horses, or cows. Cats can be around permethrin treated fabrics once the application has dried.